Patrick is the host of THE THURSDAY AM SHOW airing from 6:00 – 9:00 AM on Thursday. The AM SHOW is a non-stop thrill-ride through Pat’s random musical whims – be they soul, punk, soul-punk or pop!
You’ll just have to tune in to see where he goes!
Waiting for more insight in to this eclectic and electric programmer? Take a look at his answers to our CJTR Prouste-esque questionnaire.
WHAT IS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE RADIO EXPERIENCE?
• Patrick once hosted a five-hour overnight show from 4 AM to 9 AM with two other CJTR programmers. When they had played something from all the CDs they had with them, they improvised their own songs live on air with the help of his acoustic guitar!
WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
• Born and raised, as they say – Patrick was born in Regina, SK.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SONG/ALBUM?
• Song: God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
• Album: OK Computer – Radiohead
WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE ARTIST?
• Patrick sites 50s soul crooner Sam Cooke as his favourite artist and one of the most underrated songwriters of all time! (Ed Note: Rolling Stone agrees – naming Cooke as the fourth greatest singer of all time in 2008).
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?
• Patrick is currently reading 2660 by Roberto Bolano – a very dense story about ‘three academics trying to track down a German writier, a New York reporter on his first Mexican assignment, a widowed philosopher, a police detective in love with an elusive older woman; all of them drawn to the border city of Santa Teresa, where over the course of a decade hundreds of women have disappeared.’ Patrick describes the book as one of the most well-reviewed books he has ever come across and incredibly well written. (Ed Note: He would know – his name after all is Patrick BOOK!).
WHAT IS SOMETHING ABOUT YOU WE MIGHT NOT KNOW?
• Patrick has an identical twin that is a total jerk. (Patrick Note: Just kidding…he’s okay).
WHAT QUALITY DO YOU ADMIRE MOST IN YOUR FRIENDS?
• Pat admires their sense of humour, their relaxed nature, their intelligence and perhaps above all their tolerance of him!
WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST JOB?
• First, the background. You may not realize but the night deposit drop-box at banks sometimes go all the way from street level down to the basement, opening into the building via safe door. When Patrick was 10 or 11 years old his father worked for the Royal Bank in Swift Current . On occasion large envelopes filled with money or receipts would get stuck at the stop of the deposit shaft and Patrick would be tasked with shimmying up with a broom or hockey stick to poke at the bundle until it came loose. He didn’t get paid much, but it was a cool job!
WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYMENT SITUATION?
• Patrick works in news – and it’s great because no two days are the same. He is always learning and broadening his horizons.
WHAT’S THE MOST UNUSUAL THING YOU’VE EVER EATEN?
• Grasshoppers! The Grotto in Vibank does regular authentic Mexican menus on Friday night and when they’re in season they serve them up fresh. They’re not really Patrick’s cup of tea, but some people seem to like them. (Ed Note: If you’re in the mood, the time is nigh).
WHAT’S YOUR GUILTY PLEASURE?
• Patrick’s guilty pleasure is buying records. He doesn’t need any more at this point but he can’t stop. Music is his thing. His shelves are overflowing like crazy! (Ed Note: If you need to divest of some of your collection I know of this great record sale in the spring…)
WHAT IS THE BEST THING ABOUT REGINA?
• It’s home, says Patrick! He has lived here five separate times for the majority of his life. He knows it back and forth, even after the expansion of recent years. His family is here. And, for Patrick that counts for a lot. (Ed Note: I speak for all your listeners when I say, we’re glad you’re drawn back!)
WHAT PERSON IN HISTORY WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO MEET?
• Patrick would like to meet Sam Cooke (see above favourite artist). Perhaps it’s the journalist in him, but Patrick would like to find out what the hell happened the night he was killed. Patrick notes, he was such a uniquely talented singer and songwriter – his favourite ever really. And, like all the great musicians who died too young, Patrick can’t help but wonder what kind of work he would have produced if he hadn’t met such a tragic end. (Ed Note: For more on the life and death of Sam Cooke – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Cooke )
WHAT’S THE LAST THING THAT AMAZED YOU?
• THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkyK_C9Eoro&noredirect=1 – a video of a goat tight-rope walking at a circus while a monkey rides it. It’s mostly unbelievable. (Ed Note: There are no words Patrick, no words.)
WHAT’S YOUR MOST/LEAST FAVOURED FEATURE ABOUT THE INTERNET?
• Social media and social media! Patrick is a big fan of twitter but he hates most of the people on it! Patrick notes that everyone proclaims themselves experts or gurus – and like most things in life it was something that was really worthwhile until the sales and marketing people got a hold of it.
AND FINALLY, YOUR WORDS TO LIVE BY?
• There is love enough in this world for everybody, if people will just look – Kurt Vonnegut.