This week’s installation of the BEHIND THE MIC profile features DAVE MORGAN.
Dave is the host of LISTEN UP airing Tuesday from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. LISTEN UP is a spoken word program during which the host-extraordinaire conducts interview pertaining to current affairs, human interest and public affairs issues of community, regional, national and international scope – a show with a little something for everyone!
Need to brush up on the goings-on in our community? Or just simply have an unquenched thirst for knowledge? Want to know more about the dedicated station volunteer, board member and host behind this show? Listen up and read on. Take a look at his answers to our CJTR Prouste-esque questionnaire.
WHAT IS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE RADIO EXPERIENCE?
- Dave interviewed fellow programmer Larry Christie, host of Hits for Zoomers prior to Radiothon in 2010. By all accounts a good time was had by all! Dave recalls tears streaming down their faces as they laughed while reminiscing about the glory days of CKBI Radio and TV in the 60s (of which Larry was a rather infamous host).
WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
- Dave was born in Yorkton, SK – but raised in his hometown of Star City. (Ed Note: No surprise our STAR was raised in a city becoming his talent!)
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SONG/ALBUM?
- Ian Tyson’s song Summer Wages is Dave’s favourite song – and The Eagles Greatest Hits his favourite album!
WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE ARTIST?
- Dave lists Ian Tyson, Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Springsteen, Alan Jackson and Rosanne Cash!
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?
- Dave is currently reading Damned Nations – Greed, Guns, Armies and Aid by Samantha Nutt, MD. (Ed Note: For more on Dr. Nutt and her incredible work with War Child – http://samanthanutt.com)
WHAT IS SOMETHING ABOUT YOU WE MIGHT NOT KNOW?
- Dave has been sober 37 years!
WHAT QUALITY DO YOU ADMIRE MOST IN YOUR FRIENDS?
- Those who reciprocate friendship. (Ed Note: We know Dave, so we imagine this list to be a long one!)
WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST JOB?
- Dave’s first job was that of gas jockey at the Sherwood Co-op in Regina in 1966, slightly predating pay-at-the-pump – and a trusty Google search reveals the approximate price per litre to be $0.10!
WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYMENT SITUATION?
- The best thing about Dave’s current employment situation is the ability to host Listen up on 91.3 FM CJTR Community Radio! (Ed Note: We agree!)
WHAT’S THE MOST UNUSUAL THING YOU’VE EVER EATEN?
- Sushi – and he hated it!
WHAT’S YOUR GUILTY PLEASURE?
- Dave’s guilty pleasure is chocolate ice cream.
WHAT IS THE BEST THING ABOUT REGINA?
- The Saskatchewan Roughriders, of course!
WHAT PERSON IN HISTORY WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO MEET?
- Tommy Douglas. (Ed Note: Perhaps another interview with Larry Christie is in order? As him about his first interview with Mr. Douglas!)
WHAT’S THE LAST THING THAT AMAZED YOU?
- How wonderful his 7 grandchildren are – apparently the apples don’t fall far from the tree!
WHAT’S YOUR MOST/LEAST FAVOURED FEATURE ABOUT THE INTERNET?
- Favourite: Access to the entire world in seconds.
- Least Favourite: It’s so easily corrupted!
AND FINALLY, YOUR WORDS TO LIVE BY?
- People are as happy as they make up their minds to be – Abraham Lincoln